Several times I get emails from my own which is actually not registered, it can also be called a spoof email. Finally I found a solution for this problem, namely by disabling the mail function in the configuration.

Here’s the guide :

1. Login to Admin.
2. Click Subscriptions – name – Settings and scroll down to the Additional configuration directives field, fill it with disable_functions = mail, then click OK.

I also disabled the Sendmail function (applicable in its entirety) :

1.Login to Admin.
2. Click > Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings > Disable the Allow scripts and users to use Sendmail option and then click OK.

Or if you only want the type of service (Service Plans):
1. Login to Admin.
2. Click Service Plans > service type name > Mail > Disable the Allow using Sendmail for scripts and users on this subscription option and then click Update & Sync.

Or if you only want the subscription type (Subscription):
1. Login to Admin.
2. Click Service Plans > Subscriptions > select a name > Outgoing Mail Control > Subscription > Change Limit > Disable the Allow using Sendmail for scripts and users on this subscription option and then click OK.

After a few days the did not appear again. Thank you.