I made this guide if you experience problems such as a slow internet connection or inappropriate bandwidth where the internet connection is currently using a router (which is generally used with other nearby devices at the same time). So it is expected to get maximum results by using only 1 device as a comparison with a router.
Please also ensure that the transmission medium from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is an RJ45 ethernet cable to connect to PC/laptop devices. The topology used in the guide is as follows, and can be adapted to conditions at the site :
ISP <–> wall jack <==> router becomes ISP <–> wall jack <==> PC / laptop
<–> = transmission media
<==> = RJ45 ethernet cable
- Disconnect the ethernet cable connected to the router and connect it to the PC/laptop. On the PC/laptop, make sure the Ethernet status is Enabled and not crossed, the LAN indicator will change to an exclamation point (as shown above), if you still get a cross, you must check the LAN cable and connected devices again.
- In the Control Panel, select Network Connections.
3. Select New Connection Wizard.
4. Click Next and select Connect to the Internet – Set up my connection manually – Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password and the ISP Name can be filled with the name of the ISP then Next.
5. Fill in the user name and password provided from the ISP, then click Next.
6. Checklist Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop to make it easy to click from the Desktop then Finish.
7. A pop up window will appear as follows (if the User name and Password have been filled), you can directly click on Connect and if successful, the connection status will appear.
Until this step we can immediately try the speed test to ensure the bandwidth is appropriate.
- To disconnect, right-click the LAN icon and select Disconnect.
If you still experience slow problems or improper bandwidth, please contact the relevant ISP. Good luck and have a great day.